Saturday, January 5, 2013

Clun Forest Walnut Dye


This past fall I was given a bag of walnuts from a tree that was felled in Brantford.  I used some & left others soak for a few months. They froze into a solid mass in a 5 gallon pail on my deck. When my hubby decided to get rid of them I decided it might be time to carry through with the project I began those many weeks ago.

I have Clun Forest roving that is very white that would suit the mittens I would like to make as a thank you gift for the walnuts received for the last couple of years to the lady that had the tree.

I have a young walnut tree on the property that only this past season has yielded any walnuts. I was very pleased to have gathered 8 this past fall.

Here it is in pictures.

White Clun Forest roving from ' fibregarden.ca '.
Roving added to dyepot in netting for easy handling.

Starting to take the colour. Temperature being raised to 180F then turned off to soak.

Time to remove the wool.
Draining in sink; ready for rinsing.
Rinsed, spun, ready to hang for drying.
 When this is dry I will show the spinning part of the project.









No comments: