Monday, June 27, 2016

Onion Peel Nature Dye

Ile de France nature dye.

June 19/16

Fibre: Ile de France
WOF: 312 grams (g)
Dye: Nature dye using onion skins and alum mordant.

Format: Scoured uncarded fibre. Used leftover alum mordant rejuvenated with one tsp. alum and half tsp. cream of tartar.

Added dry fibre in a mesh bag to very large pot of prepared alum mordant. Also added very small amount of dish detergent. Brought to a simmer and simmered for fifty minutes. Drained. Rinsed briefly. I did this the morning of dye day.

Nature Dye: Three year’s accumulation of onion skins. The previous day I prepared the onion peel dye. I placed two stuffed grocery bags full of dried onion peels into a large dye pot and added water to cover. I simmered for about four hours and then let it cool overnight.

The next morning, I drained the dye liquor into a couple of buckets and discarded the onion peels into the compost bin. I poured the dye liquor back into the dye pot and added the fleece which was encased in a mesh laundry bag. The dye liquor was a very deep, dark orange.

The fleece was completely under the liquid. I brought the temperature of the dye vat up to a simmer and simmered for four hours stirring frequently.

The dye vat was allowed to sit on the stove for two and a half days while I was at work. I then removed the mesh bag containing the fleece, drained it and then placed it in the sink with lukewarm water and some dish detergent to soak for twenty minutes. A lot of colour was still washing out. Washed four times, last with TNA (Synthrapol substitute). Colour still coming out and still smells of onions.

It was rinsed in a sink of slightly cooler water, drained, then rinsed again in clear water. After draining it was put in my front loading washer on the spin cycle.

From there it was spread out on mesh screening to air dry in a summery breeze and sunshine.

The resulting colour was a dark yellow orange.

When dry, I took fifteen g and drum carded it into three mini batts of five g each for a sample.

I made three rolags. I spun it on my Ashford Elizabeth Saxony wheel on the 8:1 pulley using the woollen point of contact draw at 40 wpi. Three bobbins of five g each spun Z.

I plied on the same wheel using a ratio of 12:1 in the S direction. The wheel was set to use double drive.

Fibre: Ile de France
Preparation: Drum carded rolags
Spinning Technique: Woollen. Point of contact. 8:1. Double drive. Plied 12:1. ZZZ S.
TPI: 4.6 tpi
Twist angle of plied yarn: 36°
WPI: 13
Bradford Count: 3/7s [1]
Finishing: Very warm water with dish soap. Rinsed in warm water twice. Wuzzed. Hung to dry.
Suitable end uses: Cardigans, mitts, hats, slippers, upholstery, rug weft.
Notes: This is a short stapled fleece. It is not soft.

[1] 8 yd / 5 g * 454 * 3 / 300 =

Wednesday, June 15, 2016

Ile de France pic

Ile de France - scoured.
This is a sample of the fleece scoured. I can see an ivory colour and the cut end is whiter,  Another wash/soak is in its future.

Monday, June 13, 2016

What to do with a week off?

I had a whole week off in May and I filled it with many things I enjoy doing such as:
some knitting on a Lopi cardigan with a zippered closing down the front. In the photo above it is still on the needles as a work in progress. Last week I finished it - well sort of. I wove in all of the ends, washed it and blocked it and it just came out beautiful and fits perfectly. Now to just get the zipper sewn in and I can say it is really done. I had sticker shock when I purchased the zipper a few days ago. $7 and change plus tax seems out of line just for a 28 inch separable zipper. When the zipper is sewn in I will update with a new photo. Hopefully it will get done tomorrow.
Ile de France

I  scoured the remaining Ile de France fleece I picked up at the end of the winter.
I had time to spin three skeins and dye them by hand painting them.
Ile de France

Ile de France

Ile de France batt

All of these were drum carded and spun semi woollen. This is quite short stapled, about 2.5", which if you look closely, the angle of twist can be seen.
Acid dyes were used.
Ile de France rolags
At the same time I was having fun I was also working on my in-depth study for Olds College. It turns out I had more revisions that had to be done. I can really say it's finished now. It was mailed away last week and I have received my mark. I have joined the Olds College Master Spinners.

This is Bob, one of our Australian shepherds. He is a young dog only nine or ten months old and quite inexperienced in the world.
We live in a rural setting and the only way to get some new things for him to get used to is by popping him into the car and heading out to a park.
Woodstock has a lovely park and often we go there for some doggy education. He has seen fishermen, skate boarders, joggers, kids, water, walkers, lots of stuff.

You can walk in the woods or by the water. It's a really nice place.

Last few times we went out to a different park, this one a little closer. Here we met up with some horses and riders and later an ATV. Bob's socialization is coming along nicely.
More about my week off will follow in part two.