Thursday, May 30, 2013

New Pink Socks

Blue Faced Leicester/nylon superwash
These are some socks I recently finished. A nice pattern made using the book by Charlene Schurch called Sensational Knitted Socks. A great format for a sock knitting book. Choose many designs by the stitches per inch in the pattern repeat and fit your sock to your foot by the gauge you knit with your yarn.
The yarn is a Blue Faced Leicester / nylon blend (superwash) purchased from The Fibre Garden in Jordan, ON.
I custom dyed it at the Oxford Weavers and Spinners Guild event one afternoon a few weeks ago. That was a fun thing to do and I just love the results. Thanks to Yvonne N. and the Guild for having this event. Yvonne provided all the dye supplies and guidance.
I first took the undyed skein and rewound it into a 20 foot length and securely tied it frequently so it wouldn't tangle; soaked in a detergent solution; then a citric acid solution. Next I spread it out on a large table covered with plastic wrap. Prepared dye solutions were applied by sponge brush; then the dyed yarn was wrapped in the plastic and placed in a steamer for 40 minutes.
I left it sit overnight before I gave it a wash and rinse. Results were very pleasing for me.
I also did one in greens and blues I will make up for my hubby.

I'm still working on the green socks. It's a very interesting pattern. I will get a lot of satisfaction when these are completed. This is the second sock; one is done.
Basket Weave pattern

No comments: